The Summer Intensive is a full-day program for students ages 12 and older by audition only. It features classes in ballet technique, men’s technique, pointe, variations, repertory, character, modern/contemporary, and related dance styles. Classes such as Pilates, yoga, and strength training are also a part of the summer curriculum as are seminars such as makeup, health and nutrition and dance history.
The faculty includes OBT School’s year-round professional faculty, members of Oregon Ballet Theatre’s artistic staff, dancers from Oregon Ballet Theatre, as well as various guest teachers.
Students attending OBT School’s 2022 Summer Intensive program will be required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
Vaccination is defined as having received:
- For individuals 12 years old and older: both doses of the Pfizer or Moderna formula followed by the subsequent two-week period for full effectiveness or single dose of the Johnson & Johnson Janssen formula followed by the subsequent two-week period for full effectiveness
- For individuals 5 to 11 years old: Both doses of the Pfizer formula followed by the subsequent two-week period for full effectiveness.
- For all eligible ages: As available all CDC recommended boosters.
2023 Summer Intensive Dates
6 Week Session: June 26-August 5 │ Cost: $3,491 (price includes an OBT School program t-shirt)
4 Week Session: June 26-July 22 │ Cost: $2,356 (price includes an OBT School program t-shirt)
2 Week Session: July 24-August 5 │ Cost: $1,221 (price includes an OBT School program t-shirt)
- Linda Besant — OBT Archivist
- Sarah Brown – OBT Education & Community Engagement Teaching Artist
- LeeWei Chao — OBT School Faculty
- Lisa Kipp — OBT Rehearsal Director; former OBT Dancer
- Elise Legere — OBT School Faculty
- Ye Li – OBT2 Rehearsal Director, Former OBT Principal Dancer
- Alison Roper — Former OBT Principal Dancer; Choreographer
- Lisa Sundstrom — Former OBT Principal Dancer; OBT School Faculty
- Katarina Svetlova — School Director, Former OBT Principal Dancer
- Robyn Ulibarri – OBT Education & Community Engagement Teaching Artist
- Allison Wales – OBT Education & Community Engagement Teaching Artist
- OBT Company Members and distinguished guests
Students placed in Level 6 for OBT School’s Summer Intensive will be considered for OBT2. The OBT2 program is a select group of dancers at the top level of the school who may also work with OBT’s professional company. OBT2 marked its first official year with the 2016/17 season. Dancers who aspire to join this program must attend the Summer Intensive for a minimum of the first 4 weeks of the 2023 program, though 6 weeks is recommended. Admission is based solely on invitation from the Artistic Director and School Director.
Supervised Student Housing on the campus of Portland State University:
Students ages 12 and older requiring housing in Portland will be housed in fully chaperoned dormitories on the campus of Portland State University, Oregon’s only urban university.
Students residing in the PSU dormitory are required to show proof of vaccination, including all eligible booster doses, for COVID-19. Exemptions including medical, religious, or other will not be approved.
This year’s housing on PSU’s campus will be at the Broadway Residence Hall, 625 SW Jackson St. PSU is located in beautiful downtown Portland and under two miles from OBT’s studios. PSU is centrally located with direct TriMet, Portland’s public transportation system, access to OBT and all other parts of the city. Students will utilize TriMet’s streetcar to and from our studios in Portland’s South Waterfront.
Broadway Residence Hall
This building comes with all the latest contemporary accommodations. The two-person studio units feature loft-like cement floors and other distinctive amenities. Amenities include: fee operated laundry facilities, dedicated high speed wireless internet, stove top (no oven), small refrigerator, computer lab onsite and lounge areas. There are 353 Units – 325 sq. ft., double occupancy, with an unfurnished kitchenette and bath. The Broadway features an eco-roof, one of the largest in the city of Portland.
6 Weeks = $3,355.00
4 Weeks = $2,250.00
2 Weeks = $1,145.00
Room and Board includes:
– Triple security (requires a key for building entry, elevator and room)
– Uniformed 24-hour campus security
– Experienced OBT School Resident Assistants on duty at all times
-Wireless internet access
-Twin beds – mattress, sheets, pillows, blankets, towels all provided. Students bring their own personal supplies including soap, shampoo and laundry detergent
-Breakfast and dinner provided daily. Students are required to provide their own lunches.
-Light snacks are available for purchase from the PSU campus store and Starbucks located on the first floor of the Broadway Residence Hall
– Common areas are cleaned by the PSU custodial staff
– TriMet transportation pass and weekend excursions
Please note housing is separate from Summer Intensive program registration – registering for the Summer Intensive does not reserve the student a place in the residence hall. Demand may exceed space available and therefore reservations will be made on a first come basis. In order to reserve a place at the residence hall, payment in full or a non-refundable advance deposit of one-quarter of the total housing price is required, payable online through MINDBODY. The deposit deadline is two weeks after notification of acceptance to the Summer Intensive program.
More information about housing is available by contacting the school. Upon acceptance to the Summer Intensive, students will receive a comprehensive housing packet with their registration forms, including information on student rules and regulations, airport transportation, extracurricular activities, etc.
A limited number of financial and merit scholarships are available. Please indicate on the Summer Intensive audition form if you are interested in scholarship information.